👋 Hello! Ciao! Namaste!
We are Jay and Elle John, creators and recipe developers of Spice and Life!
My name is Elena [Elle for ease!], and I am Italian-Canadian, born in a beautiful, sleepy seaside village in North-Eastern Italy.
My husband, the gastronomic researcher, is Indian from Mumbai, although his parents come from Kerala, South India.
Jay and I bring over 40 years of combined cooking experience, from his culinary school days at 17 to my start in a seaside restaurant at 16.
Together, we've created Spice and Life, a treasure trove of our favorite, time-tested homemade recipes.
- 👋 Hello! Ciao! Namaste!
- 🤷 How Did Spice and Life Come Along?
- 🎯 What's Cooking on Spice and Life?
- ⏲️ Beyond Spice and Life
- ❓ Why Spice and Life
- 🔎 How To Get Around Spice and Life
- 👩🏻🍳 Recipes
- 📖 Food Facts
- 🙋♀️ People Also Ask [FAQs]
- 🌟 In the Spotlight
- ❤️ Elle's Favorite Recipes
- 💙 Jay's Favorite Recipes
- ⭐ Let's Stay Connected on Social Media
- 🎤 Spice and Life Media Mentions
- 📝 Let's Cook Something Together!
🤷 How Did Spice and Life Come Along?
I inherited my love for cooking from my family, with recipes passed down from my grandmothers, who mastered the art of simple, hearty meals in the post-WWII period. These dishes, once born of necessity, are now beloved Italian classics.
My parents showed me two sides of cooking: my father's elaborate meals and my mother's quick, fuss-free dishes, both equally delicious.
My journey in the culinary world spanned from my teens to my late twenties, culminating in a role as a head chef in London.
Jay's culinary path was equally diverse, from relishing homemade South Indian cuisine and Mumbai street food to formal training in culinary school, followed by a career in flair bartending and hotel management.
Now, he's in hotel finance, and I've pursued my passion for sustainable interior design. Our shared love for food and architecture profoundly influences our lives.
🎯 What's Cooking on Spice and Life?
Italian, Indian, American, and Canadian recipes, with a few other dishes we fell in love with during our holidays or were curious to try after watching some Rick Stein travel series.
⏲️ Beyond Spice and Life
Jay and I, have been together since 2009 after meeting in a flatshare in London. We married on the beach in my hometown, blending traditions with bridesmaids in blue saris and a feast of Italian and Indian flavors.
I'm a bookworm, inseparable from my Kindle and a soundtrack of rock and country music. Jay, the analytical one, loves crunching numbers in Excel.
Our shared moments are filled with nature walks, cooking [and feeding our neighbor Mike, who is happy to share his thoughts!], dreaming up beach vacations, and choosing what to watch next on TV!
❓ Why Spice and Life
In our cultures, homemade cooking is a cherished tradition, blending carefully chosen ingredients and a balance of flavors, reflecting our love for food and family.
No matter where life leads us, Jay and I treasure our time in the kitchen, relaxing with fresh ingredients and lengthy chats, culminating in a comforting homemade meal, often a nice bowl of tuna pasta or potato curry!
🔎 How To Get Around Spice and Life
Our diverse recipe collection caters to various tastes and preferences, ensuring you find exactly what you need or pleasantly stumble upon something new, like our delicious leek mashed potatoes!
This is where you will find all the 'How To's, food substitutes, and details on herbs and spices. My experience in balancing Indian spices and understanding each ingredient's importance has been truly enlightening! Need to tweak a recipe? Whether finding a sriracha alternative or a heavy cream substitute, our practical kitchen experience guides you in adapting dishes to various tastes and requirements.
🙋♀️ People Also Ask [FAQs]
On our homepage, you can find our recent homemade recipes just below the seasonal ones. You can also get them all directly in your inbox with our weekly newsletter, which you can subscribe to!
🌟 In the Spotlight
Our culinary journey and Spice and Life's unique recipes have earned recognition in several esteemed publications, which is a humbling and exciting honor for us.
- Daily Meal took a fancy to our spicy twist, highlighting our Thai peppers article in their feature on Unexpected Ingredients You Never Thought To Use With Pork Chops.
- Insanely Good Recipes recognized our love for Indian cuisine, featuring one of our favorite dishes, potato curry recipe, in their roundup of the 25 Best Indian Potato Recipes for Dinner.
- Our insights on the fiery Jalapeño & Habanero peppers found a place in the esteemed Wikipedia: Wikipedia-Jalapeño & Wikipedia-Habanero pages.
- Tasting Table warmed hearts by mentioning our achiote article in their feature on the Nicaraguan Chicken Stew, Arroz Aguado.
- How Stuff Works turned up the heat by quoting our Naga Viper Pepper article in their spicy roundup of the 7 of the Hottest Peppers in the World.
- And, Mashed sweetened the deal by ranking our take on Do blueberries have seeds in their Every Yoplait Yogurt Flavor Ranked article.
❤️ Elle's Favorite Recipes
💙 Jay's Favorite Recipes
⭐ Let's Stay Connected on Social Media
🎤 Spice and Life Media Mentions
📝 Let's Cook Something Together!
Need help perfecting a recipe or bringing a dream dish to life? Reach out to us for guidance! Email elle[at]spiceandlife[dot]com, jay[at]spiceandlife[dot]com, or use our contact us page. We're eager to hear your culinary ideas!