Baked stuffed chicken breast sounds like a very ambitious dish to create in a home kitchen, yet it requires very few ingredients and in less than 5 minutes it will be ready to be baked. Juicy prosciutto-wrapped boneless skinless chicken breasts are stuffed with a cheesy filling flavored to perfection with herbs. Try this recipe for dinner and you will be hooked!
You will love this baked stuffed chicken breast recipe, there is no doubt it is as easy and delicious as a chicken dinner can be!
All you require for this cream cheese stuffed chicken is chicken breasts, spreadable cheese, herbs of choice (I used sage), prosciutto (I used San Daniele as it is produced in Friuli Venezia Giulia, which is where I come from!), and seasoning as needed. That is all!
This recipe does not require any additional fats or oils, as it is oven-baked to keep the chicken as juicy as possible and allow the herbs in the filling to flavor the chicken breasts while gently baking.
Baked Stuffed Chicken Breasts Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts: Opt for boneless skinless chicken breasts for this recipe if possible.
- Cream Cheese: A soft plain spreadable cheese is perfect for mixing with the seasonings.
- Prosciutto Crudo: To wrap the stuffed chicken breasts, keeping the juices and filling inside. You can use bacon instead if preferred.
- Seasonings and herbs: You can use your preferred herbs to flavor the cheese, however on this occasion I have used sage. Other great options are rosemary and thyme, and if you feel you need some added richness, add some Parmesan cheese to the mix too!
How to make stuffed chicken breast?
These stuffed chicken breasts require very few steps and ingredients, which is a win-win!
- Start by preheating the oven to 400* F, Fan Oven to 180* Celsius, or 200* Celsius conventional oven.
- Prepare the filling by mixing the light cream cheese with the sage, which you will have chopped thinly; should you prefer other herbs, feel free to change the recipe around, as this works well with multiple flavors, such as rosemary, chives, or green onions. Season the cheese filling with the required salt and pepper.
- For the chicken, use a sharp knife to cut and create a pocket in the chicken breast on the thicker side of it and then make a bigger internal cut, without enlarging the entrance hole or going with the blade through the other side; this will allow you to close the filling in the breast without using any toothpicks.
- Divide the filling equally among the chicken breasts and ensure the filling fits inside them without being visible from the outside. Stuffing chicken with a teaspoon may make the process easier.
- Next, after arranging the prosciutto slices in pairs on a chopping board, wrap the breasts, ensuring the filling pocket is covered and tightly held together.
- Cover a baking tray or baking dish with a non-stick sheet of baking paper and put the prosciutto-wrapped chicken on it; to bake, put the dish on the middle shelf in the oven for 25 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked).
Medium-sized chicken breasts normally require about 25 minutes in an oven preheated to 400*F, Fan 180* Celsius or 200* Celsius in the conventional oven.
Before serving, always ensure the chicken breast is cooked thoroughly, as these are only guidelines and each appliance works slightly differently.
This stuffed chicken recipe is very easy to reheat:
In the oven: preheat the oven to 325* F or 165* C and warm-up for 10 minutes; it is best to put the chicken breast in a tray with a teaspoon of water and cover it with a sheet of foil, so to lock the moisture in.
In the microwave: put the chicken breast on a plate with a teaspoon of water at the bottom and cover with a piece of cling film; put in the microwave and heat for about 1 minute or until piping hot.
In the pan: warm up a frying pan with a teaspoon of water and put the chicken in the pan; reduce the heat to medium-low and put a lid on the pan. Allow to 'steam' until fully hot.
How can I use leftover chicken?
There are many ways this stuffed chicken breast can be reused if there are any leftovers, here are some ideas:
- Wrap: chop the chicken into large chunks and put it in a wrap with some crunchy salad.
- Panini or Toastie: chop the prosciutto chicken and use it to stuff a panini or toastie together with some grated cheese or mayonnaise, then toast as liked.
- Pasta sauce: create a tomato-based sauce and flavor with small pieces of this stuffed chicken breast before using the sauce to dress some pasta.
- Salad topping: chop it and use it to top a nice salad.
- Elevated Mac and Cheese: follow your usual mac and cheese recipe and add his prosciutto chicken in chunks before baking.
Tips and Tricks for Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Olive oil: If you don't have parchment paper or a non-stick baking dish, you can drizzle some oil on the surface to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Filling: As mentioned above, you can make the stuffing your own! Good additional fillings are fresh spinach leaves, Parmesan cheese, sauteed mushrooms, or even some different herbs.
- Chicken: Should you wish, you can use chicken thighs instead, however, these may be harder to wrap, but will surely be juicy if cooked the right way.
- Serve with: These stuffed chicken breasts can be served with many sides, however, roasted fennel, Mediterranean roasted veggies, a slice of eggplant Parmesan, some creamy potato salad, or lush mashed potato with leek are definitely great simple choices!
No doubt this baked stuffed chicken breast recipe will become one of your favorites for a very long time! It is easy to prepare, requires very few ingredients, yet looks and tastes as delicious (I'd say better!) than a restaurant-ordered dish!
Baking dish out, preheat oven, and try not to eat all of the prosciutto before dinner... enjoy!
Other chicken recipes you will also love:
- Chicken and Mushrooms Recipe
- Chicken Tikka Baguettes with Homemade Green Chutney
- The Best Chicken Burger Recipe
- Sri Lankan Black Pepper Chicken Curry Recipe
- Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Butter Chicken Recipe
Stuffed chicken breast was first published on January 1st, 2021 and updated on August 27th, 2021.
Cheesy Stuffed Chicken Breast Recipe
- 30 g Extra Light Cream Cheese I used Philadelphia Extra Light
- 3 leaves of Fresh Sage or ½ teaspoon of Dry Sage or 1 tablespoon dry sage
- 300 g Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast total weight for two fillets
- 4 Slices Prosciutto Parma Ham
- Salt and black pepper to Taste
- Preheat the fan oven to:- FAN 180 degrees Celsius- CONVENTIONAL 200 degrees Celsius- 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- Create a pocket in each chicken breast, ensuring not to cut it through. Try to insert the knife in one side of the breast and moving it side ways without enlarging the entrance whole, but only the internal pocket.
- If using fresh sage, wash the leaves and chop them into small pieces then mix them with the cream cheese, a bit of salt and pepper.
- Divide the cream cheese filling between the two chicken breasts and close the pocket of the chicken well, ensuring the herby cream cheese is sealed inside.
- Lay the slices of prosciutto one next to the other in pairs, slightly overlapping; wrap one chicken breast using two slices, all the way around (like a burrito), ensuring the prosciutto covers the cut where the cream cheese has been filled.
- Place the two wrapped chicken breasts on a baking tray that has been covered with baking paper and put on the middle shelf of the oven.
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes or until cooked through.
This is delightful. Chicken breasts have a low-fat and really need a good stuffing to up the game. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Thank you Velva!
yummy! I loved the stuffing ingredients! Very well chosen!
Thank you, Tavo!
Wow that looks so easy and mouth watering I am trying this tonight!
Let me know how it goes, Claudia!
Recipes like this make me rethink my choice to go more plant based! This is an epic recipe! So scrumptious!
Thank you, Shashi!
Prepared this for my parents who came over for dinner and they loved it. I loved how easy it was!
Glad to hear so, Jacq!
Wrapping these stuffed chicken breasts with bacon seals in all the goodness. These chicken breasts are tender, juicy and ever so tasty.
Thank you, Mairead!