Quick, easy, tasty, and vegan... there is no reason not to try it!
This cake is delicious and easy, but there are a couple of notes I’d like to share to make it even easier and options should you want to change it around.
Starting from the sponge:
- Should you not have apple cider vinegar, you can use distilled white vinegar instead, and it will work the same.
- Should you not have maple syrup, you can substitute this with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
The cherry jam:
- Should you prefer – or be lucky enough – to have and use fresh cherries, then you can use these instead. Make sure to use the softest cherries in the bunch.
For the cake composition:
- Ensure the dark chocolate chips you choose to use are vegan, as many brands use some form of dairy. Vegan options are now widely available and taste delicious.
- If you do not use or like hazelnut milk, then you can use another dairy-free alternative such as almond, oat, or soya milk. Almond milk works particularly well with cherries, however, I selected hazelnut as it works well with chocolate.
- You can turn this into cupcakes: to put the cherry filling in the cupcake, form a hole on the top by removing a cone-shaped piece of sponge, put a bit of jam, and cover again with the sponge.