Refreshing Homemade Kohlrabi Slaw
Enjoy the delightful combination of crunchy kohlrabi and creamy dressing in this refreshing Kohlrabi Slaw. This unique slaw is easy to make and perfect to take to a barbecue or potluck.
- 1 cup kohlrabi cut into Julienne strips or Matchstick cuts
- 2 tablespoon yogurt
- 1 jalapeno deseeded chopped
- 2 sprigs parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black salt or regular salt.
Prepare the Kohlrabi:
Peel the kohlrabi using a vegetable peeler to remove the tough outer layer.
Rinse it well and pat it dry with a clean kitchen towel.
Cut the kohlrabi into matchstick-like Julienne strips using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer. You can also use a food processor with a julienne blade attachment for quicker results.
Prepare the Dressing:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, chopped jalapeno, finely chopped parsley, lime juice (or lemon juice), and olive oil.
Mix the ingredients well until they form a smooth and creamy dressing.
Toss and Mix:
Add the prepared kohlrabi matchsticks to the dressing in the mixing bowl.
Gently toss and mix the ingredients until the kohlrabi strips are well coated with the dressing.
Make sure each strip is evenly coated to enhance the flavors.
Chill and Marinate:
Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or a lid and refrigerate the kohlrabi slaw for at least 15-30 minutes.
This allows the flavors to meld together and the kohlrabi to absorb the dressing, resulting in a more delicious slaw.
Serve and Enjoy:
Once the slaw has chilled and marinated, it's ready to serve.
Plate the Kohlrabi Slaw in a bowl or on a serving dish. You can garnish it with a sprig of parsley or a few slices of jalapeno for an extra touch.
Serve the slaw as a refreshing and healthy side dish with your favorite main course.
- Add Carrots: For a colorful twist and extra crunch, consider adding some julienned carrots to the slaw. They complement the kohlrabi beautifully and enhance the visual appeal of the dish.
- Adjust Spice Level: If you prefer a milder slaw, you can reduce the amount of jalapeno or even omit it altogether. On the other hand, if you like more heat, keep the seeds of the jalapeno while chopping.
- Make-Ahead: You can prepare kohlrabi slaw in advance and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. However, it's best to add the dressing just before serving to maintain the crispness of the kohlrabi.
- Experiment with Herbs: While parsley complements the slaw nicely, feel free to experiment with other fresh herbs like cilantro, mint, or dill for different flavor profiles.
- Serving Suggestions: This kohlrabi slaw goes well with grilled meats, sandwiches or even as a topping for tacos and wraps. It adds a delightful, crunchy element to any meal.
Calories: 52kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 314mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 208IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 0.4mg