Simple Homemade Eggnog Recipe
This simple homemade eggnog recipe is sure to hit the spot. With its combination of whole milk, heavy cream, spices, vanilla extract, and your favorite spirits (optional), it's sure to be a crowd-pleaser at your next holiday gathering. Best of all, this easy-to-make eggnog can be prepared in just under an hour with minimal effort required.
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cinnamon or a pinch
- 2 tablespoons dark rum or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brandy or to taste
- 1 tablespoon bourbon or to taste (optional)
Whisk the eggs in a large bowl and gradually add sugar until fully incorporated; the color of the mixture will become lighter, fluffy and smooth.
Next add in the ground nutmeg and cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract and beat until incorporated.
Gradually stir in each cup of heavy cream and whole milk as you mix continuously to avoid clumping.
The next step is to cook the eggnog in a saucepan over a medium heat whilst stirring continuously.
Once it has thickened to your desired texture (avoid boiling), add in brandy, dark rum, and bourbon (these are optional), transfer it into a container or pitcher, cover tightly with some cling film, then chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours prior to serving.
Lastly, enjoy your freshly made glass of eggnog with some whipped cream on top as well as a generous sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon!
- Make sure to cook the eggnog over a low-medium heat, stirring continuously to ensure the eggs do not scramble.
- To ensure an extra creamy texture, add an additional cup of heavy cream and two tablespoons of butter.
- Additionally, for an even more decadent flavor, use a mix of spices such as allspice.
- Alcohol is optional, and the type used can be chosen according to flavor.
Calories: 514kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0.02g | Cholesterol: 268mg | Sodium: 715mg | Potassium: 312mg | Fiber: 0.04g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 1343IU | Vitamin C: 0.4mg | Calcium: 219mg | Iron: 1mg