Chicken burgers are one of those foods considered a treat, although they can be prepared in a tasty, healthy, and easy way, making them a perfect choice for any day of the week.
Most pre-prepared ground chicken burger patties are composed of ingredients we would not perhaps consume if we were to cook the meal ourselves, so why buy them when this recipe is extremely easy to follow and you could be grilling your burger in about 5 minutes from the start of the process?
These healthy burger patties are one of my favorites chicken recipes, as they are not only quick to prepare, they are also versatile and freeze wonderfully, so more can be prepared for future use!
The ingredients needed are very few and a couple can be swapped around, meaning there’s no need to rush to the supermarket if one is missing.
Sandwich it in two slices of bread, or serve it with a few spiced oven-baked wedges or some potato and leek mash, or even a side salad… no matter how you’ll enjoy it!
~~ Are you a LOVER of sandwiches and burgers? You are not alone, and that is why we have a whole section dedicated to these delicacies: Cook: Sandwiches and Burgers
Let’s talk nutrition!
Chicken breast is an excellent choice of food for people trying to lose weight, gain weight or simply stay as they are, as it is naturally sugar-free, low in sodium, and high in protein.
Chicken recipes often use breast when aiming for weight-loss or muscle gain as it is a great source of lean protein while being relatively low in calories; proteins are the macronutrient that keeps us full for longer and, as this cut of meat is extremely versatile, it is easy to see why for so many it is the go-to option.
There are no carbs in simple boneless and skinless chicken breast, meaning it contains no starch nor sugar. The fats in a 3-ounce (85g) chicken breast are very low, at only 3 grams in total, and most of them are unsaturated, with less than one gram of saturated fat. In the same portion of chicken (85g or 3oz), there are also 26g of proteins, meaning that with only 128 calories, meaning it is a great choice when trying to meet specific needs.
The main health benefits of consuming chicken breast that is skinless and boneless are that it helps build muscle mass and it can also assist in growing muscles when partaking in strength training; maintaining muscle mass is very important throughout life, but recent studies have shown how decreasing muscle mass in older age is associated with an increased mortality rate.
In addition to muscles, animal protein, such as chicken breast, help maintain bones’ health as it collaborates with calcium to help protect the bones.
When purchasing chicken breast it is important to carefully read the label, as oftentimes, options that look more convenient economically, may have very high levels of sodium.
~~ Looking for more dishes that enhance the benefits of chicken? Why not try this deliciously rich and healthy Butter Chicken Recipe?
How to make a healthy burger?
These chicken burger patties focus on the use of chicken breast and a few fresh and tasty ingredients to enhance its flavor. What you won’t find in here is additional oils or fats, unnecessary sauces that make the burger soggy and full of sugars, and the mandatory necessity for a massive burger bun, as this can be eaten with a side salad or in two thin slices of bread… no need to exaggerate when the main ingredient is so tasty!
Additionally, healthy burger toppings are the best way to go: choose fresh vegetables like tomato, onion, cucumber, lettuce, add a nice crunchy pickle, or a drop of hot sauce (they tend to be lower in sugars, calories, and fats, but always read the label!). Go ‘exotic’ and make a carrot and white cabbage shredded salad and dress it with a tiny bit of salt and lemon juice… this will add volume and crunch with minimum calories!
How to make homemade burger patties? How to make chicken burger?
I love this recipe as it is not only quick to prepare, but also to cook!
Start by preparing the homemade burger seasoning by mixing in a bowl some grainy mustard, lemon juice, some thinly chopped garlic, salt and black pepper, some dry herbs (I use tarragon as it works great with lemon and garlic!), and some whole-wheat breadcrumbs (the best way is to toast a slice of bread and blitz it!); mix everything well and put the bowl aside.
Once this is done, chop the chicken breast in small dice (5-7 mm size or 0.2 – 0.3 inch), with a knife or in a food processor; keeping the pieces this side will help keep the burgers juicy while having a bit of a bite and a nice rich consistency.
Should you prefer to chop it in smaller pieces (going more down the ground chicken route) then go for it!
Mix the chicken pieces in the seasoning well, ensuring it is spread equally throughout the mixture; once this is done, divide the mixture into four equal parts and form the chicken patties.
Once the chicken burger patties are ready they can be cooked on a pan or in the oven; I do it on a pan with the help of some cooking spray, as this allows me to achieve a nice barbeque effect. Yes, they can be also cooked on the barbeque!
Put each chicken patty on the pan once this is warm and you have sprayed it with some cooking oil and cook it until they are halfway done, then turn around and finish cooking them. Before serving, ensure the chicken is cooked thoroughly, as it must not be consumed raw, but do not overcook it either.
Serve and enjoy!
Prepare the homemade burger seasoning
Prepare the chicken burgers
Cook and serve the chicken burgers
Homemade Chicken Burger Patties | Healthy, Easy and Quick Burgers
How many calories in a homemade burger? How many calories in a chicken burger?
There are only 129 calories in this homemade healthy chicken burger, meaning it is a great choice when preparing a meal!
What can I serve this burger with?
Depending on the calories allocated to the meal and time of the day, this chicken recipe can be served with a salad or a few homemade spiced oven-baked potato wedges; try seasoning the wedges with some Cajun or Piri-Piri seasoning, or some simple salt and rosemary, before roasting them in the oven and obtaining a nice crunch.
Prepare a rich yogurt and lemon sauce, instead of using sugar and fat-rich sauces, as this will make your calories go even further.
Lastly, if you’re looking for the perfect bun, choose wholemeal thins, which normally have about 100 calories each and are very tasty as they are but also lightly toasted.
Can I freeze these homemade chicken burgers?
Like for all chicken breast recipes, these can be frozen raw if the meat was not frozen before preparation; in that case, prepare the patties, pack them ensuring they are separated one from the other (use some cling film or baking paper), and then put them straight in the freezer. Before cooking the burgers, ensure they have thoroughly defrosted.
Should you wish to re-freeze chicken breast that was previously frozen, then you will need to thoroughly cook the burgers, allow them to cool down and then pack them and freeze them; before serving them next time, ensure they are piping hot.
You will LOVE this chicken recipe as it is tasty, fresh, and light, all while being versatile, quick, and easy to prepare!
Chicken recipes are the go-to for many during the week and this I’m sure will be added to your favorites, as it is a crowd-pleaser, be it for an everyday meal or a weekend barbeque with family and friends!
~~ Looking for more QUICK and DELICIOUS MEALS ready in less than 30 MINUTES? Check out our Cook: 30-Minute Meals section!
The Best Chicken Burger Recipe
- 300 g 10.5 oz Skinless and Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 Slice Whole-wheat Bread (Medium or Thick Slice) I used one 'thin'
- 1 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard adjust to taste
- 1 Tbsp Dry Tarragon or other herbs if preferred, like parsley
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 Clove of Garlic Peeled and Chopped Thinly
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 10 Sprays of Cooking Oil
Prepare the homemade burger seasoning
- Toast the slice of bread until thoroughly crispy, but not burnt, and break it into pieces before putting it in a food processor to grind into homemade breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl add the homemade breadcrumbs, dry tarragon (or herb of choice), wholegrain mustard, lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, and pepper, and mix well. The homemade burger seasoning is ready.
Prepare the homemade chicken burger patties
- Chop the chicken breasts in tiny dice, 5-7mm (0.2-0.3 inch) in size with a knife or roughly blitz in the food processor; chopping it by hand will maintain more the consistency of the meat while blitzing it will make this step very quick and the result will still be delicious.
- Mix the chopped chicken breast with the homemade seasoning, ensuring everything is evenly mixed.
- Once the meat is well covered in seasoning, divide it in four and create the chicken burger patties; ideally, you'd want the patties to be about 1.5-2 cm (0.6-0.8 inch) thick, so they can cook through easily but still keep moist and have a nice bite to them.
- Warm up a flat or frying pan on medium heat and cover it with 5 sprays of cooking spray; once the pan is warm, put the patties on it.
- After 2-3 minutes, reduce the flame and allow to cook halfway through; this will ensure you get a nice color on the outer part of the burger at the beginning and then cook it through. This step should take an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Once the chicken burgers are cooked halfway through, flip them and up the flame to medium again for 3-4 minutes, after which you will reduce the flame and allow them to finish cooking, which should take a further 2-3 minutes.
- Adjust the cooking times to ensure the chicken is thoroughly cooked before serving. Enjoy!