This creamy chicken mushroom recipe won’t come with a long blog, as it doesn’t need it: its simplicity, flavor, ”everyday-ness” (author’s license!) and low-calories make this dish a true gem in disguise!
This chicken mushroom recipe is ready in under 20 minutes and can be served with a side salad, a few roasted or mashed potatoes, or even a bit of rice or pasta (chop the chicken in dice for a truly delicious chicken mushroom pasta!).
~~ Looking for a special side to this low-calorie chicken recipe? Try Mashed Potatoes with Leek… elegant, sophisticated yet ridiculously easy and super tasty!
How to prepare this chicken mushroom recipe?
With a very quick meal prepping session and few ingredients you can have this delicious chicken breast recipe on the table in well under 30 minutes!
Start by halving the mushrooms (or cutting them in quarters if they’re quite chunky) and set them aside; slice the chicken breast in thin slices and set them aside as well.
Warm up a large pan (large enough to accommodate the chicken breasts with plenty of space left for the mushrooms) and spray it with the cooking spray.
Once it is warm, keep the pan on high heat and add the chicken breasts to it; brown the chicken breasts on each side for about one minute.
At this stage add the mushrooms to the pan and apply the lid; lower the flame to medium and allow the chicken and mushrooms to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
After 5-7 minutes, mix well the chicken and mushrooms and, if they are about 90% cooked, you are ready to move to the next stage; keeping the pan on a medium flame, add seasoning (salt and pepper) and, if desired, some parsley, mix well once more and allow to cook for 1 minute without a lid while you prepare the next ingredient.
In a small bowl, warm up the milk until it is slightly warmer than room temperature; you can do this either in a microwave or a pan on the stove-top. Once this is done, add the light cream cheese to it (I use Philadelphia Lightest) and mix well; you will still see a few ”knots” of cheese in the milk, but they will melt in the pan.
At this stage, add the light cream you created to the pan and allow it to simmer down and reduce until the meat and mushrooms are completely cooked and you reach the consistency of cream you like. Serve and enjoy!
Chicken is such a versatile and easy to prepare ingredient, we sometimes take it for granted and continue prepariong the same dishes over and over again… but not this time!
This Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe is fabulous and easy, tasty and light… it’s a no-brainer, a show stopper without needing to put on a show!
Give it a go, I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I do!
~~ Looking for some meal-spiration? How about these delicious and low-calorie options that use chicken as their focus ingredient?
- Chicken Tikka Baguettes with Green Chutney (a great recipe for a BBQ night or the lunch box!)
- The Best Chicken Burger Recipe (with VIDEO) (prepare them, use what you need and freeze the rest… exceellent meal-prep idea!)
- Indian Chicken Curry Recipe with Potatoes and Coconut (with VIDEO) (Go South Indian and experience this ridiculously rich curry… yum!)
- The Best Sri Lankan Black Pepper Chicken Curry Recipe (Learn how to make your own spice mix in very few steps!)
- Garlic and Chili Chicken Curry Recipe (Easy, tasty and low-calorie… yet better than the restaurant!)
- Kolhapuri Chicken (with Homemade Masala!)
- Authentic (yet low-calorie) Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Buttery and rice (yet again, low-calorie) Butter Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and Mushroom Hotpot (Another great meal-prep idea that uses chicken and mushrooms in the same recipe!)
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- 280 g Skinless and Boneless Chicken Breasts total weight for two fillets
- 20 sprays of oil spray 1 cal cooking spray
- 200 g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 60 g Extra Light Cream Cheese (I use Philadelphia Lightest)
- 100 ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Dry parsley to taste if liked
- Cut the Chestnut Mushroom in half (or quarters) and set aside.
- Apply the 20 sprays of oil spray to a large frying pan, large enough to accommodate the two chicken breasts comfortably (if you have one with a matching lid even better, as you’ll need it later); once the oil is warm, add the two breats and cook on high flame for one minute one each side, so to give it a bit of color, then lower the flame to medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cover with the lid; if the pan you are using doesn’t have a lid, you can either use one from a larger pan or silver foil. After one minute on medium heat, lower to low and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the chicken and mushrooms are cooking, in a small bowl pour the milk and warm it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds (if using a milk jug on the gas, just make it slightly warmer than room temperature) then add the cream cheese and mix well. There will be a few knots of cheese in the milk, which should ‘melt away’ while cooking later.
- Once the mushrooms and chicken are nearly ready (90%) add the seasoning (salt and pepper) and some parsley if wanted. Mix well and increase the heat to medium.
- Add the milk-cheese mixture (light cream) to the pan with the chicken and mushrooms and mix well, especially around the mushrooms and cover the pan with the lid again for a further 2-3 minutes.
- At this point both the chicken and the mushrooms should be cooked, so mix well, cover with the lid again and turn off the heat/gas. Let is sit for 5 minutes, then plate and serve!