Creamy yet light, this quick creamy chicken mushroom recipe is a mid-week savior! With a few easy tricks, this commonly fatty recipe is turned into a delightful yet light recipe, that only needs a quick side to make a full delicious meal, ideal for dinner, the lunchbox, or both!
There are very few recipes as versatile and tasty as this delicious creamy chicken mushroom recipe.
Ready in about twenty minutes, this light meal can be prepared as is or with a few subtle amendments to make it more your own.
Boneless skinless chicken breasts grilled and seasoned, then coated in a delightful mushroom cream sauce for the ultimate mid-week dinner idea!
The use of cream cheese and milk instead of cream make it very light, perfect for warmer summer days when you fancy something delicious but not too heavy.
Pair it with a simple side and it's game on... ready to be enjoyed!
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe Ingredients
- Chicken Breast: The lighter cut of chicken, which can be substituted with turkey breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- Cooking Spray: To coat the frying pan can be substituted with some olive oil if preferred.
- Mushrooms: Any type of mushroom work well, however, I used chestnut mushrooms in this recipe.
- Light Cream Cheese and Semi-Skimmed Milk: The alternative to heavy cream.
- Salt, Black Pepper, and Parsley: Seasonings.
How to prepare creamy chicken mushroom recipe?
- Start by halving the mushrooms (or cutting them in quarters if they're quite chunky) and set them aside.
- Slice the chicken breast into thin slices and set them aside as well.
- Warm up a large pan or cast-iron skillet (large enough to accommodate the chicken breasts with plenty of space left for the mushrooms) and spray it with the cooking spray or olive oil.
- Once it is warm, keep the pan on high heat and add the chicken breasts to it; brown the chicken breasts on each side for about one minute.
- At this stage add the mushrooms to the pan and apply the lid; lower the flame to medium and allow the chicken and mushrooms to cook for about 5-7 minutes.
- After 5-7 minutes, mix well the chicken and mushrooms and, if they are about 90% cooked, you are ready to move to the next stage; keeping the pan on a medium flame, add seasoning (salt and pepper) and, if desired, some parsley, mix well once more and allow to cook for 1 minute without a lid while you prepare the next ingredient.
- In a small bowl, warm up the milk until it is slightly warmer than room temperature; you can do this either in a microwave or a pan on the stove-top. Once this is done, add the light cream cheese to it (I use Philadelphia Lightest) and mix well; you will still see a few ''knots'' of cheese in the milk, but they will melt in the pan.
- At this stage, add the light cream you created to the pan and allow it to simmer down and reduce until the meat and mushrooms are completely cooked and you reach the consistency of cream you like. Serve and enjoy!
People Also Ask [FAQs]
This meal can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days; thoroughly reheat in a pan or the microwave before serving.
Tips and Tricks for Creamy Chicken Mushroom
- Garlic mushroom cream sauce: Yes, it sounds tasty because it is! If you like it, add some garlic to the chicken before adding the mushrooms, sautee for a few minutes, then continue with the recipe as it is.
- Parmesan Cheese: Should you not have cream cheese, you can mix some freshly grated Parmesan cheese and add it to the milk. The flavor will be stronger, however, the end result will be magnificent!
- Herbs and Spices: Make this recipe your own by using your favorite seasonings! Good options are rosemary, thyme, marjoram, as well as a little paprika, tarragon, or mixed herbs.
- Meat options: If you don't have or don't like chicken breast meat, then chicken thighs work well too, as well as turkey meat.
- Mushrooms: Choose the types of mushrooms that you like and that are available. You can often find packs containing mixed mushrooms.
- White Wine: For a fancy twist, use some white wine! You can add 2-3 tablespoons to the pan once the chicken has browned on both sides and allow it to evaporate before you continue to the next step.
Chicken is such a versatile and easy to prepare ingredient, that we sometimes take it for granted and continue preparing the same dishes over and over again... but not this time!
This Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe is fabulous and easy, tasty and light... it's a no-brainer, a show stopper without needing to put on a show!
Give it a go, I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do!
🥗 Looking for some meal-spiration? How about these delicious and low-calorie options that use chicken as their focus ingredient?
- Chicken Tikka Baguettes with Green Chutney (a great recipe for a BBQ night or the lunch box!)
- The Best Chicken Burger Recipe (with VIDEO) (prepare them, use what you need and freeze the rest... exceellent meal-prep idea!)
- Indian Chicken Curry Recipe with Potatoes and Coconut (with VIDEO)
- The Best Sri Lankan Black Pepper Chicken Curry Recipe (Learn how to make your own spice mix in very few steps!)
- Garlic and Chili Chicken Curry Recipe
- Kolhapuri Chicken (with Homemade Masala!)
- Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Butter Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and Mushroom Hotpot
- Hibachi Fried Rice
- Baked Chicken Kabobs
- Yummy And Cheesy Baked Stuffed Chicken Breast
- Easy Chicken Curry
- Chicken Club Sandwich
Creamy Chicken Mushroom Recipe
- 280 g Skinless and Boneless Chicken Breasts total weight for two fillets
- 20 sprays of oil spray 1 cal cooking spray
- 200 g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 60 g Extra Light Cream Cheese (I use Philadelphia Lightest)
- 100 ml Semi Skimmed Milk
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Dry parsley to taste if liked
- Cut the Chestnut Mushroom in half (or quarters) and set aside.
- Apply the 20 sprays of oil spray to a large frying pan, large enough to accommodate the two chicken breasts comfortably (if you have one with a matching lid even better, as you’ll need it later); once the oil is warm, add the two breats and cook on high flame for one minute one each side, so to give it a bit of color, then lower the flame to medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cover with the lid; if the pan you are using doesn’t have a lid, you can either use one from a larger pan or silver foil. After one minute on medium heat, lower to low and allow to cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the chicken and mushrooms are cooking, in a small bowl pour the milk and warm it up in the microwave for about 30 seconds (if using a milk jug on the gas, just make it slightly warmer than room temperature) then add the cream cheese and mix well. There will be a few knots of cheese in the milk, which should ‘melt away’ while cooking later.
- Once the mushrooms and chicken are nearly ready (90%) add the seasoning (salt and pepper) and some parsley if wanted. Mix well and increase the heat to medium.
- Add the milk-cheese mixture (light cream) to the pan with the chicken and mushrooms and mix well, especially around the mushrooms and cover the pan with the lid again for a further 2-3 minutes.
- At this point both the chicken and the mushrooms should be cooked, so mix well, cover with the lid again and turn off the heat/gas. Let is sit for 5 minutes, then plate and serve!
I don't usually leave comments on recipes. However, I tried this dish this weekend and was pleasantly surprised by how flavorful and simple it was to prepare.
Thank you, Tricia!